I'm developing a problem with notes not speaking. At first I didn't know what to credit it to. I was thinking it was the back pressure on the mouthpiece, but now I'm beginning to think it's my embouchure getting weak. I was hoping it would improve with practice, but I find it's getting worse. Now, to get higher notes I really have to push and really clamp down on my embouchure. This is not good.
I ordered a P.E.T.E. from Warburton. It's sort of a glorified golf tee. There's an exercise regime that goes along with it that's supposed to strengthen one's embouchure. I'm hoping it can work on me as this problem is embarrassing.
Without anything to practice right now except for etudes, I'm trying to go back to some of the old Horn concertos I used to toss off like they were nothing. They're not nothing any more. First up is Strauss 1st, which I used to make short work of. I did Movements 1 and 3 in High School for Solo and Ensemble Competitions (and kicked ass on both). The 3rd movement got me 3rd place in the New Orleans Symphony Youth Auditions, which is no easy feat as wind players NEVER place in that -- it's always string players or pianists. At the time, that was big potatoes. It got me a picture in the newspaper and everything!
Now, I sound like a rookie. How the mighty have fallen.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment