Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Devil to Play: The Sequel

Jasper Rees wrote a book called "The Devil to Play." It's about a man who played French Horn in his youth, and in his mid-life has decided to take it up again and perform at the IHS Conference.

I feel like I'm walking in Jasper's footsteps. I'm picking up a horn I haven't played for 13 years to prove something to myself in front an unforgiving and judgmental audience. Maybe that's why I'm nervous.

Playing the Christmas show over the weekend has been very helpful to me in that it got me playing every day. Mondays are always hard to get back into the swing after not playing over the weekend, and Tuesdays aren't much better.

Last night we went over the 3rd movement of the Smith, which is good because we never have up until now. Yes, the concert is Saturday. Anyway, it went extremely well, and I think the band is liking the piece. At least I hope they are.

I'm still plagued with the buzz, but this morning I might have found it's source. I'm using a piece of rubber to add some tension to the joint. As for the Laskey, well, it's still not great, but it'll get me there. Once this is over, I'll give the IYM a fair shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment