Friday, December 11, 2009

Ode to KMS

I have not maintained a lot of friends beyond college (let's not even mention High School). One of the very few people I've kept in touch with from those days is Karen M. Smith.

Karen is my hero. She is one of the nicest and coolest people I've ever known. What makes Karen so important to me is her philosophy of life and what she's done with herself. You see, she is focused and determined. She knows what she wants, worked hard to get it and everything is coming to fruition for her, and I couldn't be happier for her for those very reasons. She's not lucky, she wasn't in the right place at the right time -- she was merely focused and persistent. She is an inspiration that hard work DOES in fact pay off.

What's even more admirable is that her success is exactly what she wanted, which makes her story even more inspirational.

Karen isn't famous, or at least she isn't in the classical sense. She is to me, though, and to those who enjoy her work. She's currently working on her 4th CD and has just signed a contract with JW Pepper, who is publishing her arrangements. From what I understand, JW Pepper will be in charge of future recordings as well.

And this is what she wants. This is what she's worked for. Her philosophies are crystal clear and direct, and I'm honored to know her and to be her friend.

So, here's to you KMS. I look forward to each conversation we have and each piece of work you present. Someday when I grow up, I want to be just like you. Only with a beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment