For the final performance of the Christmas show, I decided to use the IYM. It worked, but it just feels funny. I can't describe it. It's such a heavy mouthpiece that it felt like I was playing on a big block of metal (which I was). I almost couldn't feel the cup inside at all.
So I'm back on the Mouthpiece Wheel of Doom. In one corner, the IYM. In another corner, the Laskey 725J. In yet another corner, the Laskey 825G. In still another corner, the Wick 5N. In the final corner, the Laskey 80G (which I just ordered).
I REALLY like the feel of the Laskeys, but the 725J just feels too small for me at this time. I also really like the Wick, but it's so damn deep that it's a struggle to play sometimes. Right now I'm putting my faith and hope in the Laskey 80G, which I won't have in my mitts until late this week or sometime next week, pending mail traffic and the good folks at Pope Instrument Repair.
But even though I have no gigs or rehearsals for a couple of weeks, I'm still plugging away. I'll put the Smith away for good (unless I move forward on that Mellophone CD) and maybe find something new to waste my time with. Next time I have a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, I may invest in the Zdechlik concerto. Or maybe not.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment