Okay, I officially give up. I've used the H200 for 2 band rehearsals and a pit rehearsal and it's been miserable.
The first problem is the way certain notes speak. Yes, if I really stuck with it, I'm sure I'd smooth it out. But the 2nd line G sticks out, and the top line F is hinkey.
The second problem is some of the notes aren't where I want them to be, especially high notes. Yes, even with the high F side. I'm shooting blind.
The third problem is the Bb fingerings. True, I use them a lot on the F horn, but when you have to rely on them full-time and aren't really used to them, your brain blanks out.
Don't get me wrong -- the H200 did have some advantages. I felt the notes I *could* hit were more secure. It also had a stronger "Cash" register. But the H179 is Home.
I pulled it out this morning and went over all the passages from the past two weeks that have plagued me. Of course, I had no problems whatsoever.
Face it -- I've played the same horn for almost 30 years. I know everything about it.
So, was this whole adventure a mistake? I'd like to think not, and I'm comfortable having the H200 around if I need it for extreme high playing. But for now, it looks like my old axe will stay.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment