I've played hundreds of concerts in my life. I've played most of the Beethoven Symphonies, a few Dvorak, some Tchaikovsky, Hanson 2nd (my favorite up until now) ... but nothing has affected me like the Barnes 3rd.
Playing the Barnes Symphony for the last time this Sunday was tough. It has really become part of my life and part of the lives of everyone in the band. And it's funny how after it's over, you start to hear about its impact on the players.
This was unlike any piece I've ever played. Aside for being downright hard to play, it's the most emotional piece I've ever played. It's a major, heavy, heavy work that can go toe-to-toe with anything Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak or Hanson has ever written.
My wife, who flat-out doesn't get music at all, loved it. She said it was her favorite concert of all the ones I've dragged her to. I expected her to hate it, really. It just goes to show that good music can transcend someone who doesn't like music.
So, farewell Mr. Barnes. My life is truly richer for knowing you.
Monday, March 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment