This time I did it right. This time I brought the H200 to a rehearsal. What made it even better is that this is the first rehearsal of a new concert cycle, so I haven't played any of the music on the regular F double horn.
Before I get to the rehearsal, I brought the horn to Chuck at the Brass Lab to have an Alexander flipper put on (the DeHaro brace wouldn't have worked with this horn) and to have a button put on the paddle of the high F thumb valve. I just didn't fit right on my hand. Good ol' Chuck didn't even charge me for the work! Oh, but what a difference it made to the horn!!!
The good news is that the H200 did exactly what I hoped it would. It made accuracy a little better, it presented a little more "lively" tone and made the high notes a little easier to obtain.
And now the bad news. Internal intonation isn't there just yet. Also, tone color isn't consistent from note to note just yet. Also, my brain still glitches out with those pesky Bb fingerings, but it's getting better.
I am planning on changing my mouthpiece a little. Same rim diameter, but a more shallow cup. I think that will help in the long run.
Overall, I'm happy with the choice. It keeps my brain sharp and makes playing a little more fun. Sometimes change is good.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment