Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fun with the Yamaha Single Bb

Last night I had fun playing horn.  I usually enjoy making music, but I don't have fun playing the horn due to fighting with it all the time and such.  But last night I had fun.

You see, every year my theater company does a Christmas show.  My involvement changes from year to year.  Last year I directed.  The year before that I just played in the pit.  But I'm in this year's show.  Due to the fact that I'm ... well ... fat and hairy, I'm a natural Santa.  It's okay, I don't mind.

In an effort to always keep things interesting and fresh, I've decided that Santa plays the French Horn.  So last night I brought my Yamaha single Bb to rehearsal to play around a little bit.  Frank, the music director, is nothing short of phenomenal.  He can take anything and play it anyway you want.  So, after singing 2 Johnny Marks numbers, which both sound the same, I suggested we try something different.

"Play it bouncey," I asked, to which he promptly did.  And instead of singing, I played the piece.  And I didn't just play it flat, I bounced with it.  The horn, as expected was light and playful, and I didn't worry about being careful -- I swung it.  And I had fun.  And it sounded great.

Too bad the horn has a limit to it.  It's the best of so many worlds.  But the lightness will kill me in a symphonic setting.  Still, I wish so much the Holton had the breeziness the single horn has.  By design, I'm sure it's impossible.

In the meantime, I plan on squeezing as much fun out of this as possible.  Stay tuned for the YouTube videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment