Friday, December 2, 2011

A Quick Spin on the Wheel: Is Bigger Really Better?

I've been playing the single Yamaha all week as it's Hell Week for the show I'm using it in.  I'm playing horn on 3 numbers and tuba on 1.  One of the horn pieces is a BIG solo -- the others are instrumental breaks in songs.

I do enjoy playing the single Bb.  It's light and breezy.  It reminds me of a Mellophone or Tenor Horn -- no big clunky piece of machinery to manipulate, just something light and pleasant.  Unfortunately, it's prone to the same pitfalls of a French Horn: the clams, the intonation issues, the water pooling.

So, I'm finding that by the time I get to the big solo in Act 2, I feel like I'm playing directly on the leadpipe.  I worked long and hard to adjust from a big mouthpiece down to a more normal size, but it feels like the Laskey 75 is just too darn small!

I've always looked back at the Laskey 80 with longing.  The extra size really is comfortable, though admittedly it doesn't give my playing the "push" the 75 does.  And to think when I was in college I played on something even smaller!  I'm willing to commit to the 75 for good, but I keep the 80 handy, just in case.

So yesterday I caved and used the 80.  It went surprisingly well.  Extreme high notes were a bit of a strain, but it felt okay.  The downside of all of this is that I don't have any more rehearsals to test the waters.

So here's my plan: I'll stick with the 75 and during intermission I'll re-warm up.  I can push through either way.

The other big issue is that since the horn sits for about 30 minutes before I play it, it gets cold.  As a result, by the time I get to the end of the solo, my horn is full of water.  There's no rests to empty (and no water keys on the horn).

Still, it'll be what it will be.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment