Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Adventures in Bb

I spent a few good weeks with my Yamaha single Bb.  There are so many good things about it.  It's light, fast, flexible ... but it's not as good as I want it to be.

The common conception is that a double horn has the weight necessary to play, sound and respond correctly.  This notion, in my opinion, is true.  Though the single Bb is a LOT of fun to play, it lacks ... well ... weight.

Here are some of the specifics I encountered:
  1. The volume breaks too quickly.  As a result it doesn't have the volume range, intensity and expressiveness I need.
  2. High notes are squeaky.  Yes, it has range, but once you get above a high F, there's no stability.
  3. The "cash" register has no strength.  What should be a big, round, dark sound winds up being thin and brassy.
I'm not giving up on the single, and I do enjoy playing it, but My Horn is a double.  Of course, in my case it's a double descant.  Holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment