Monday, October 24, 2011

Dénouement of a Concert

This Saturday the newly named Brooklyn Wind Symphony gave their first concert of the season.  For the record, I did get my ass kicked by "La Fiesta Mexicana" a little.  Once again it reminds me of what I DON'T like about the French Horn.  You see, with a Mellophone or Tenor Horn or even Trumpet, if you press a certain valve combination, move your embouchure a certain way and blow a certain way, there's a strong chance the right note will come out.  On French Horn, it's still iffy.  The constant uncertainty drives me insane.  But I digress.

I always feel strange after a concert.  There's a level of emptiness that comes.  There's a feeling of "hey, I just did this cool thing" that has to, well, go away.  Now that I do theater, after a performance we all go out and, at the risk of sounding self-serving, congratulate each other.  It's shallow, but it suffices.

I remember back in my college days playing concert after concert, packing up my horn and just going back to my apartment.

I will admit that I am relatively anti-social.  I also know that after every concert (heck, after every rehearsal) the band goes to a local bar.  I don't go.  Why?  Well, first of all for most of them I'm old enough to be their father.  Second of all, due to demands and expectations of my life, I am expected somewhere else.  It's not realistic for me.

This is something I just have to live with.  There's really no solution.   Hey -- I did a cool thing this weekend!  Gotta run, I have other things to do now.


No comments:

Post a Comment