Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Curse of D

Fourth-line D is out of tune.  Universally.  Not just on my horn -- every horn seems to be out of tune on the fourth-line D.  It's a curse, a burden that we all carry.  But we all cope with it anyway we can.  Many of us cup our hand almost to the point of hand-stopping.  Others just play it 3rd valve and lip it up a big.  But we cope.

Composers don't seem to see the dangers of the D.  Some of them might even consider that it's not their problem.  Amateurs.

But what the heck -- let's say for the moment that it IS our problem.

Now, this blog is not a general Horn tips blog.  Horn Matters does a fine enough job with that.  This is about my own personal journey.

The challenge is "La Fiesta Mexicana."  It's a band classic.  The horn parts range from awesome to sucky in a matter of measures.  In the 2nd movement there's a big solo that's all -- you guessed it -- fourth-line D.  So, what's my plan?  First I clip on my Snark tuner, then I pray that 3rd valve doesn't compromise the tone quality and hope for the best.  Breathe, block out the world, don't get tense.

I used to never get tense on solos.  Now, I get a little tense.  It's getting better.

We'll find out how "La Fiesta" and the Curse of D goes on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment