Thursday, April 7, 2011

Putting Back the Pieces

I got some tips from two of my favorite horn gurus, Dr. John Q. Ericson and Mark Taylor. Here's a general rundown of their combined suggestions:

1. Don't warm up so long.
2. Stop using the Farkas range-expanding exercise as part of the warm up.
3. Don't overdo long tones.
4. Limit the warm up to a comfortable range.
5. Don't worry about equalizing the pressure between the top and bottom lip.
6. Higher notes does not equate more air. In truth, try less air.
7. Cold compresses, not hot.
8. Avoid lip balms with camphor.
9. Don't lay off the horn for days. Continue to do a short, non-taxing warm up on days I'm not performing or rehearsing.
10. Try a slightly deeper mouthpiece, not necessarily a larger rim diameter.
11. Be sure to warm down.

I gave it a shot today. I didn't bother trying anything too high or taxing. I did dip my toe in the waters and it wasn't great, but I also didn't work up to it, so it doesn't really count.

Tomorrow will be the test as I have Phantom again, and then Saturday when I'm playing at Lincoln Center.

Oh, I left out one more tip:

12. Do whatever is necessary to get the notes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment