Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Good Boy Scout

A good Boy Scout is always prepared. As a middle brass player, I'm always prepared. Basically, I have a horn for every occassion.

I own a lot of horns. I've collected them throughout the years. Many say I'm a collector. I'm really just trying to be prepared. But prepared for what? Really?

Let's do the breakdown:

I have two French Horns -- my original H179 and the H200. These are less about preparation and more about just being able to play. The H179 is really showing its age and needs a valve job. I'm now comfortable with the H200. Due to sentimentality, I can't get rid of the H179. Too much history.

Then the Tenor Horns -- I have the Besson in case I ever play with a Brass Band again. Also, it's a beautiful instrument. I have the Conn Altonium in case I ever do a brass ensemble that requires one -- like a Christmas gig or something.

Then the Circular Altos -- First is the Franz Kaizer, which will be handy if ... well, I don't know. Then the Cerveny, in case I need a left-handed horn if ...

Then the Traditional Mellophones -- the Carl Fisher and the Holton Hatbox. I love playing the traditional Mellos, and the Hatbox horn is great for travel. But will I ever REALLY use them for anything? Maybe if I do that recording I've always thought of doing ...

And then there's the Conn 16E Mellophonium. It's just a great horn to have because of the history of it. Will I ever really use it? And what for? Will I ever get a jazz gig? Unlikely, but not impossible. See reference to the aforementioned recording.

And finally the Marching Mellophones. My King 1120 has become a decoration in my office. I have a Dynasty G Mellophone, but why? My Yamaha YMP-204 is the top of the line, and also a beautiful instrument. Will I ever REALLY use it? What if I join a Senior Corps? Unlikely. A Mini Corps? More likely, but still a long shot. There's always that quintet of directional brass I've dreamed of forming. But would the 204 be the way to go, or my Marching French Horn? Speaking of which, I also have the Holton Marching French Horn, mainly for the novelty of it. And an old piston/rotor horn. Why? Unless I actually form this quintet, I'll have absolutely no use for it.

I'm thinking of getting my 204 converted by Patterson Hornworks. But why? I still have no real use for it. What if I do a Mini Corps? Will the customization be an issue if I join a Mini Corps? Then again, I still have the King 1120. Am I really over thinking this?

So why do I really have all these horns? And should I get the 204 converted?

No comments:

Post a Comment