Thursday, January 21, 2010

Making Peace

I'll admit that I'm making more peace with the French Horn. I still identify it as an instrument I'm somewhat at odds with, but I'm finally starting to enjoy playing. I don't know what is causing this. Maybe it's the new Laskey 80G mouthpiece, or maybe it's that we're playing some challenging music in the band. Or maybe it's the dreams of the the Holton H200.

But don't misunderstand -- I'm still at odds. I don't have the enthusiasm I once had for Horn literature any more, and if I had the choice of listening to a horn quartet or a Drum Corps, it'd be Corps all the way. I suppose I'm learning to push the instrument aside and just be part of the music.

Even in The Day, I wasn't into orchestral literature. Give me good band music any day. And now that the Grand Street band keeps getting bigger and stronger, it makes playing a much more satisfying experience. Too bad the Horn section is shrinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment