Still, it's a MAJOR work and I dig playing it. Take the pressure off by not playing 1st and I'm enjoying it even more.
I need to resist my hot dog tendencies and just enjoy the music. That is, after all, why I'm in the band in the first place.
I recall a story my college horn teacher told. He was playing 4th in an ensemble, and the section was having trouble with a passage. The conductor went down the line on it but never had him play the passage. He asked if he wanted to hear him play it as well, and the conductor said that he heard him play it every time. Few remember that all parts are important.
In truth, swapping parts on each piece can be a bit frustrating. Yes, it can give you opportunities, but it also denies you your identity in the section. The best thing one can do is not be insecure about your own abilities and think of the greater cause and not your own.
The moral is that 2nd part is cool, too.
Meanwhile, I want a Holton H200 descant.
Ain't it pretty?
I've always been fascinated with descants, and this one is said to be pretty good. It's not the best one out there, but I'm used to Holton horns and it's a little more affordable than others.
Of course, it doesn't really matter as I don't have the cash for it. But I can dream.

No comments:
Post a Comment