Am I going to report on every lesson? Probably. The main function of this blog is to chronicle my return to horn playing, and this may be a key part of it. I'm not there yet.
One of the aspects of horn playing I've tried to abandon is Ceremony -- things you do and ways you think merely because you are a horn player. This seems to be where we are going right now. The goal is to adjust my whole approach to the instrument. But it's so subtle that I don't know if it's working or not just yet. But I'm staying the course and trusting my instructor.
We did nothing more than a few Teuber exercises, but employed a few techniques from different teachers on each one. Most on the F-side, of course. He says it's important to be able to use the F side, if anything for warm-ups. In performance, I can do whatever I need to. But I'm taking it seriously and the F-side is creeping into my daily life.
So, the question is "Is It Helping?" I hope so. I'd like to think so. I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm optimistic.
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment