Monday, March 2, 2015

Lesson Three - Cobwebs

It's starting to make some sense to me.

It's not uncommon when working with a new teacher to almost start from scratch.  This has been my experience so far -- not so much starting from scratch, but focusing more on a basic, warm-up level.  Everything has been more or less warm ups.  It's not a bad thing, but I was starting to wonder if this was leading anywhere, especially since my teacher would ask if I was seeing any differences.

So, in lesson three a small light bulb finally went off when he said that everything was okay, but we needed to "clean out some of the cobwebs."  In some unexplainable way I could grasp that.  It's not that my basics are bad, they could just be a little better.  More focused.  A little better concentration.  And that's all foundation stuff.  You can't build a house without a solid foundation.

I am diligently working the new routine and focusing on those things I need to -- to relax, to feel where the notes are, maintaining a good tone.  All basics, all critical.

I'm getting it, and I appreciate it.  Is my overall playing better?  I really don't know.  It might be.  Regardless, it's a good path that I'm happy to be on.

No comments:

Post a Comment