Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Lesson One

I don't plan on playing professionally.  In truth, I don't plan on playing any more than I do now.  I'd like to, but for now I'm happy with the BKWS and the occasional pit gig.  But even with these limited outlets, I know I can do better.  I know I'm not playing to the best of my abilities.

So yesterday I had my first horn lesson in 30 years.  It was exciting, humbling and stressful.

At a few good folks' recommendation, I reached out to a Pro.  I won't mention who it is, but he's incredible.

This first lesson was to be a diagnostic.  My assignment was to do my daily warm-up and something that represents my strengths and weaknesses.

The piece I chose was Malcolm Arnold's "Fantasy for Horn."  Not too hard, not too easy.  It goes the gamut.

Let's cut to the chase.  I played about as well as I play.  Well, maybe a little worse.  My accuracy was still bad and my playing overall was uneven.  We spent a lot of time on musical phrasing and style which, surprisingly, helped my overall playing.  Who knew!  It gave me a lot to process, which I'm happy to do.

Then we hit the warm-up.  There's a number of things that are now part of my routine, most involving the F-side of the horn (which I usually avoid).  Whether I use the F-side in my regular playing remains to be seen, but as far as the warm-up, the teacher feels it's critical.  He took me through many exercises in long tones, low playing, breath attacks, lip slurs and pitch bending.  He then prescribed the Teuber Progressive Studies book.  I'm ready to give it my all.

I will continue lessons -- probably every other week.

Frankly, I think one of the biggest things this will help with is the ability to sit down with someone and play.  I used to be fearless and could play for anybody.  Now fear has entered into my brain and this will be the only thing to help get rid of it.  Once I conquer that, I feel my playing will become much more consistent and less sloppy.

It's a new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment