Finding the internal intonation for a horn can take forever. Years, even. At times I think that it's not even possible. Doing it with a practice mute is, well, useless. Also, the size of the room can have an impact.
So last night before rehearsal I took a significant amount of time to try to tune my horn better internally. To my surprise, I made MAJOR adjustments to some key slides -- adjustments I didn't think I'd have to make.
Did it work? Well, my accuracy has improved by about 100%! I need to remember these new positions.
So, going back a step, I'm back on the Laskey. As much as I love the Wedge, it mellows my tone out a bit too much. I may come back to it once I get my horn in a better state, but for now I just keep it handy. My endurance issues and the rolling bottom lip are always of great concern to me, and I might have to make a trade-off sooner or later.
The next thing to conquer is my upper register. It's starting to thin out again. It never ends.
Meanwhile, last night I got to meet yet another composer! I'm so honored to be a part of the Brooklyn Wind Symphony, and now we seem to be attracting many awesome composers. So far we've had David Maslanka, Johann de Meij and Michael Markowski. Now we can add Viet Cuong to the list. He's a super nice guy and an INCREDIBLE composer (as are all the others, too!).
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment