The final concert of the BKWS was this past weekend. It went fairly well. My biggest issue is still endurance. I'm fine in the band room, but once I get on stage, my chops give out 3/4 of the way through the program. As a result I can't keep my bottom lip supported and it rolls outward. I think the Wedge was good for preventing that, but the impact on my tone is enough to avoid it.
So while I have the summer off I need to focus on a few projects to keep me going. I still plan on practicing regularly, possibly giving the Wedge another shot.
The first think I want to focus on is "Fantasy for Horn" by Malcolm Arnold. It's not too difficult, so it shouldn't take up that much time, but it's a fun and flashy little piece.
Next I'm going to focus on Lowell Shaw's "Just Desserts" book, just to keep some technique going.
Beyond that I'll still try to maintain some pieces, including the Fernandez Scherzo and the 3rd Movement of Strauss 2.
That should keep me plenty busy.
But the most important thing is to practice daily to make sure I don't lose my chops when BWKS reconvenes in the Fall. I'm missing it already!
Monday, June 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment