Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Another Shot, Plus More Spins on the Wheel of Doom

I got another shot at the Maslanka solo last night.  This time it went significantly better.  Part of it I credited to alternate fingerings (particularly on the F#), knowing where the notes really sit (aim high on the A and low on the D), a slightly faster speed, plus spending a little time on the Mouthpiece Wheel of Doom.

I really hate the Wheel, but it's a place all brass players seem to end up.  To help things along I make sure I record myself playing with each mouthpiece I try to see which has the best sound.

I like the sound I get on the solo with the IYM.  Unfortunately, after that it doesn't completely work for me as it thins out the upper register.

I also tried a Wedge - Eric Reed Signature version.  More on that one later.

Anyway, I'm not in love with changing mouthpieces in mid-music.  So, after spending some time with the digital recorder, I'm going to put the heavy caps back on and stay with the Laskey for now.  Hopefully this will give the horn the weight it's getting from the IYM and help it to slot better, as well as thicken out the middle register some.  I won't know until the next time we go over the solo, but it will definitely be within the next two weeks I'm sure.

Now, about the Wedge.  The Wedge mouthpiece is the latest Big Thing.  They're also not cheap.  I bit the bullet and went for one.  I felt the Reed version would have the size I like, as the others seemed to be smaller.  They give lots of warnings that it's a different sensation, and it is.  It's not bad, but it's different.  It feels more constricted than my trusty Laskey.  Also much smaller (which it probably isn't).  The recording sounded a little stuffy, which is not to my liking.

I'm not giving up on it, but I don't think right now is the time to start experimenting.  I'll practice with it some and possibly do the next cycle on it -- unless I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment