Friday, February 22, 2013

Rehearsals with the Composers

So, things in Brooklyn have been a bit cool lately.  First, we have a rehearsal with Michael Markowski.  We're playing one of his pieces for our next concert.  Turns out he's local!  Anyway, it was way cool and the band as a whole really enjoyed having him pay us a visit and work with us.  He's very cool.

Then, a couple of weeks later we get David Maslanka in for a rehearsal to work with us on his Symphony.  You know, the one with the 30 measure horn solo at the beginning.

First of all, it was an awesome rehearsal.  The man has earned his stature as the giant that he is.  He was personable, funny, accessible and insightful.  Long story short, I got to play the solo twice, and both times I nailed it.

Jump ahead one week.

I get to the rehearsal on Tuesday and Jeff (the conductor) sees me and pulls me aside.  Apparently his son was also there (who is respected in the music world as well).  After the rehearsal he tells Jeff that in the 25 or so times they've heard this performed live, my interpretation of the opening solo was the best he's ever heard.

I'm trying to stay cool, because that is HUGE for so many reasons!  It leads me to believe what I'm beginning to believe more and more -- that even though I make lots of stupid mistakes and chip my fair share of notes, my playing has matured.

My Hot Dog status is becoming more and more in reach!

No comments:

Post a Comment