Tuesday, January 22, 2013

30 Measures of Hell

There's a great recording of Maslanka's 4th Symphony.  I've been listening to it religiously.  The opening 30 measure horn solo is simple and sweet, and I've been using it as the basis for the way I play it.  Unfortunately, that recording takes it significantly faster than Jeff wants it.  The result is an excruciating experience that winds up being all about tone quality and color.  Frankly, it makes me crazy.

I've asked Jeff to make me go through it as often as possible.  The last time (which as also the second time) I thought I had done it fairly well.  I asked him how it sounded and he said it sounded uncertain and high school-ish.  Sadly, I agree with him.

So this lead to visiting numerous wheels of doom.  First was the Horn Wheel of Doom.  Thanks to my digital recorder I can get a decent take on what's what.  So I pitted the Holton H179 against the Paxman.  The winner: The Paxman.

Okay, one down.  Other experiments will involve heavy caps vs. regular caps, tuning sleeve or no tuning sleeve, mouthpiece?  Oh, therein lies the Age Olde Wheel of Doom.

I did some work narrowing down the Laskey's.  I thought the 80G would be good, but it seems the 75G is plenty.  This morning I tested the Laskey against the IYM.  Surprisingly the IYM won this battle on the solo.  Next, I've ordered a Wedge mouthpiece.  Let's see if it arrives at a decent time and, well, works.

But I can sense that there is still something uncertain and fuzzy on some of the notes, mainly the first couple.  It's going to be a journey, but it's one I need to take FAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment