In my quest to find audition material, I started pulling all of the solo work I've played throughout my Hot Dog years. I found lots of old gems: Strauss 2nd, Villanelle, En Foret, Beethoven Sonata, Adagio and Allegro, all the Mozarts ...
I found something surprisingly odd when I started playing through them. They were all significantly EASIER than when I worked on them in college. I was floored!! All these pieces I struggled with I was now tossing off like Rubank exercises!
And then it hit me. Maybe in my quest to regain what I have lost -- to catch up to where I was before I stopped playing -- I've already gotten there? And what's more, maybe I've gone beyond it?!
What leads me to believe that I haven't is that I lack the "edge" I had when I was in my prime. My sightreading isn't what it was. My accuracy is for shit. But there's something I have now that I never had back then. I'm thinking it's Maturity.
Sightreading is a skill that needs to be practiced. I know that. The accuracy? Maybe it's because I have a wonky horn? Or maybe my lip isn't quite where it should be?
But something is for certain -- I'm no longer the player I was. I'm a new player altogether. I don't know if I'm better or worse than I was when I was a Hot Dog. All I know is that I'm finding a new confidence I thought I had lost. Too bad I'm not doing the Smith Three Contrasts now!!!
So I'll stay the course. I have nowhere else to go. And what I like best about it is that this is a part of my life I can actually control. Love or hate the Horn, it's what I play. And I'm pretty good.
Saturday, May 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment