Monday, May 7, 2012

Bellfront Postmortem

So the run of "Pippin" is over and I successfully used the Bb Marching French Horn for the run.  I've listened to some of the videos and, yes, I can be heard.  It doesn't sound quite like a French Horn, but the tone does blend better with the Trombones and Trumpet.

As far as playing it, it took me a rehearsal to get used to it, but I did fairly quickly.  What I didn't like is that anything above a high G was a squeak, and that really bugs me.  I ultimately went with a shallower mouthpiece, which compromised the tone a wee bit, but it got me those notes above the G.  They were still a squeak, but all-in-all they were better.

Overall I thought the experience was pretty good.  For situations such as this, it was really a good idea and something I'd recommend to anyone in a similar situation.

I'm glad I got to spend time with the horn.  I still want to put it in a quintet setting.  Maybe some day I'll have my chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment