Long ago I mentioned how the Universe wants me to play French Horn again and abandon my foolish Mellophone aspirations. Well, yesterday it happened again.
I was asked to sit in with a Woodwind Quintet. I haven't played in a WWQ since college (that's back in the early 80's, kids). I'm not a huge fan of WWQ's. In truth, I have a better affinity for Brass Quintets. Now, this is just personal preference. But I feel I can do more with a Brass Quintet -- or at least do more of what I want. I find a BQ more theatrical and more versatile sound-wise. Not to slam WWQ's at all. They're quite lovely. But what can you do with a WWQ that's "out of the box"? I searched online and found one or two WWQ's who dare to venture outside the box, and it's not easy.
So, skeptical, I went to the rehearsal. I brought along my Laskey 75J mouthpiece because I needed a softer sound than the IYM produces. I still played the H200, though.
First of all, it really was like riding a bike. Playing in a WWQ for a horn player requires a different approach, and it seems I still knew how to do it, and do it fairly well. The other members of the group were very nice, as I expected they would be.
What's weird is that I seem to approach every situation with "what can I do with this" instead of just enjoying making music. I have the same approach with Grand Street, though I'm always looking for that opportunity to jump out of the box. I don't know if I can do it with this ensemble (I don't know if they'd want to), which makes me examine how I manage my time. I mean, I play at Grand St. for fun. Do I have time to play in another ensemble just for fun and not for profit?
But this to me is another instance of the Universe telling me I'm a Horn Player and I should just accept it.
At home I used to keep my Yamaha YMP-204 and my traditional Mellophone at arm's reach from my desk. I've since packed them in with my other horns and now keep only the H200 at my reach. I mean, it's all I play, so why clutter up my floor with horn cases I'm not using?
But just because I'm hanging on to even the smallest thread, I am on the lookout for a Bb Marching French Horn -- just for shits and giggles. I do have the Holton MH102, which I've recently oiled up and played with some. I'm surprised it doesn't have a horn-sized lead pipe. But it's a funky little horn and with some adjustment plays fairly in tune (which is always good).
So -- a Woodwind Quintet? Me? Stranger things have happened.
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment