The Grand Street concert was a little weird for me. As far as concerts go, it was solid as a rock. We had a good audience and they loved it. But for some unknown reason my heart was in an unusual place, and this concert seemed to resonate with it.
Let's hit the highlights.
Ticheli's "Sanctuary" went beautifully. I nailed my first solo within an inch of its life to the point that people came up to me after the concert to tell me how good I did, which meant a lot to me, and not in an inflated ego sort of way. The next one I could have done better -- I fluffed a note, but I don't think anyone noticed. The third one went fine.
"Sanctuary" is a special piece. Of all the music on the concert, this is the one that stuck with the audience. It's not a piece you listen to -- it's a piece that washes over you. It's pure emotion put to music.
And next was my friend "Russian Christmas Music." The band truly gelled into something wonderful and we played it beautifully. Even though I wasn't playing 1st horn, I put my heart and soul into it. Yes, I split a few notes at the finale, but I played my heart out.
And then something hit me. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was because after the concert I walked alone to my car and drove away ... alone. (I actually had people there this time, but they took a separate car). Maybe it was just a reminder of all those huge concerts I played in college where nobody came to hear me and I'd go home to my little apartment alone. Maybe it was "Sanctuary" and "Russian Christmas Music." But I sat in the car and cried. And cried.
Maybe this is a sign that I'm reaching a new level of musicianship. It's becoming less about the mechanics and more about the soul. Or maybe I'm losing it. Who knows.
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment