I'm back on the Wheel of Doom, though I feel that I'm still evolving as far as what I'm able to use and what I'm able to do with it. Being that the H200 responds differently than the H179, there is a period of trial with everything. I've had good luck with the IYM, but I feel that it's time is limited.
I'm sure that every horn player spends a lot of time on the Wheel. I have throughout my history. I recall Nancy Wiggins, my first horn teacher, encouraging me to use the Holtom MDC. When I hit College it was all about the Giardinelli. I marched with an S15 but otherwise I played a C10, B10, and ultimately C4. It took a while to acclimate myself to the Chambers rim, but I kinda like it now.
Since I'm still whittling my embouchure down, the C4 and the Chambers rim is still way too small for me, but I may be ready to give it a try. I practiced this morning with the C4 and it went rather well. I had range and power -- the two things I'm looking for most. Since Giardinelli doesn't exist any more, some good soul on eBay apparently has a huge stock of their mouthpieces, so I just ordered a C10. If an S15 pops up I may grab that, too.
So I feel like I'm going home in a way. It's also sad that I'm making the commitment to the French Horn again and basically abandoning the Tenor Horn altogether. The plus side is that many mouthpiece manufacturers are making Mellophone mouthpieces that accommodate French Horn players, so I don't feel totally abandoned.
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment