For some reason, people think I practice a lot. All my life people thought I practiced a lot. Granted, when I was in High School I did, but beyond that, I didn't. Many is the time I went into a lesson totally unprepared.
But that doesn't mean I didn't play a lot. My daily "practice" time consisted of a 20 minute warm-up and maybe touching on a spot or two, but that was it. But I was playing my horn hours every day (though I'd almost always take weekends off). As a result, I guess I didn't need much practice as I was always applying myself. I'm sure I would have been a better player had I practiced more. But I don't regret it. Much.
I used to even pride myself at never having to practice Band music. I knew that I could usually cut any part after 3 rehearsals (with the only exception being John Barnes Chance's "Blue Lake Overture," which had a mean horn part). Now, I find myself going over Band music during my morning practice sessions, if anything to avoid embarrassment. I still aspire to be a hot dog, remember? Being unprepared is not something that a true hot dog does.
So I still practice 5 times a week, 20 minutes every morning. But am I really practicing? No. I'm doing a careful warm up and running the occasional etude to keep sharp. And yes, I go through my Band music (plus inching my way though the Fernandez "Scherzo"). I really, really wish I was playing every day like I used to, but my life won't support it.
Am I doomed to never be a hot dog again? Possibly. I was once. I should be happy about that, but for some reason it makes me a little sad. I suppose in my heart I will always be a hot dog, but my skills don't allow me to be. Oh well.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment