Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The First Day of Band

To the band geek, there is nothing more exciting than the first rehearsal of the season (both marching and symphonic). I recall so vividly my first high school band rehearsal in the 9th grade when I first switched from trumpet to horn. I was the proud 3rd chair and for the first time I played the Holst "First Suite in Eb" and Gliere's "Russian Sailor's Dance."

It's funny to see how the magic of that first rehearsal sparkles in so many band geeks no matter what their age is.

Last night was the first rehearsal of the new season with the Grand Street Band, and I was as giddy as I was that November day in Mobile. What was so funny is that so many of the folks in the band were just as giddy! I lost count of how many people I heard say "I'm so glad to be back!" and "I couldn't wait for band to start up again!" And the next day all through Facebook folks from the Grand Street Band were gushing about how excited they were to be back.

My guess is that this phenomena exists with sports teams and other organizations as well. But for me, first day of Band is exciting and magical. And for me it's not seeing my fellow band mates (that's my own dysfunction). For me it's playing the music and being part of a great sound. For me, there's nothing like it in the world, and I'm so happy and proud and blessed to be able to do it.

For the record, progress on the H200 is coming nicely. The fingerings are less and less of a problem. The internal intonation still needs a few tweaks, and I'm still not 100% convinced my mouthpiece is the best for me, but it's going okay. I made my share of careless mistakes, but I always do.

Maybe when I get my new glasses I'll actually be able to SEE the music for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment