Monday, September 20, 2010

Aaaaaaaand We're Back on the Wheel of Doom

Years ago when I made the commitment to the Tenor Horn, I made the commitment to the mouthpiece as well. Remember, whereas the average French Horn mouthpiece has a rim diameter of about 17.5mm, a good Tenor Horn mouthpiece has a rim diameter of 19mm. That's pretty significant.

Once I got the hang of it, I could hit high notes with no problems at all. Then when I put the same mouthpiece on the Mellophone, I still had an extensive range. So now I'm trying to ween myself back to a French Horn mouthpiece, and the journey is both slow and trying.

I started with a Wick Horn mouthpiece with an 18mm diameter. That was good for a while, but it wasn't a very good mouthpiece. Then I found the Laskey, which I started at 18.5mm, and now 18mm. But high notes? Forget it. I needed to find something better.

So, on Chris Nalls's recommendation (whether he knew it or not), I tried a Schilke 30. Lo and behold, I could play on it! I know it's smaller than what I've been playing on, but I could play on it just fine! Then I tried my IYM and I could play on that, too! Could my chops finally be getting to where they should be? How cool would that be!

I do have to keep remembering that as much as I love the Tenor Horn, I have zero opportunities, whereas I have far more on the French Horn. I need to let some of that wishful thinking go and just enjoy the bird in the hand.

So now -- a good horn mouthpiece. I'd love to try a Moosewood, but I'm not sure about the specs. The Schilke is pretty darn good, and I'm able to get a very nice sound from the IYM. I have a Holton SC coming. I used to play on an MDC, and it used to kick my ass. Maybe the shallower cup will help me out on those squeaky high notes. I'll arrive any day now.

Tomorrow at band I'll try the Schilke and the IYM. Practice is one thing, but practical use is totally different. I'll bring a Laskey along, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment