Thursday, July 22, 2010

Remembering My Senior Recital

Yesterday I listened to a recording of "En Foret" by Eugene Bozza. 26 years ago I played it on my senior recital and kicked its butt. Today, I'd be lucky to make it past the first line.

I really shouldn't beat myself up. I did a LOT of playing in College. I played many times a day. Surprisingly, I didn't practice much -- not nearly enough sometimes. But I was always playing. It was normal to have 2 or 3 rehearsals every day.

I also remember that playing wasn't really enjoyable. It was just something that I did. I think I was feeling what professionals feel. Playing was work. Today playing is fun, but I'm nowhere near the hot dog I was back in 1984. Or even 1994. I'm still on that journey, and I don't know if I'll ever be the horn player I used to be.

It was interesting listening to "En Foret" again. I'm actually impressed that I made such short work of it back in 1984. And a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment