Monday, July 12, 2010

Once Upon a Mattress

The title of this entry doesn't have some obscure meaning -- right now I'm playing in the pit for a production of "Once Upon a Mattress." I've actually played the show before, surprisingly on Mellophone.

This time around I have some of my bandmates from the Grand Street band in the pit with me, and I'm very self-conscious about my playing as I don't want to come off as a doofus.

Wrestling with the H200 takes its toll. I'm doing okay with the part, but I make a lot of stupid mistakes, all due to the Bb horn fingerings. Hannah, the trumpet player, asked if it was worth it. I had to give that some thought. But so far, yes, I feel it's worth it. I like the sound I'm getting on the H200. It's not as big as the H179, but I think it's a better sound overall.

Meanwhile it's all about concentration. If I stay focused, I can usually lay a minimum of clams. But I clam nonetheless.

I shouldn't care what my bandmates think of me, but I do. I've been the Hot Dog and I hope to be one again some day. In the mean time, I struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment