I remember back around 1988 or 1989 when I had a revelation: music did not fulfil me creatively. I remember I was doing a lot of playing at the time, and I was trying to find a way to actually wedge my way into doing pit work on Broadway. Granted, I didn't try very hard.
But it hit me that music was less creative and more re-creative. I think that's one of the reasons that I started writing plays and stopped playing after a while. But I've been playing most of my life, and it's not something I can just stop. It's part of me. It's in my blood. I can't give it up.
But now I'm starting to feel that lack of creativity. That's why I keep trying to go outside the box and find something new to do with music. I'm trying to create something, not re-create something. This is why I have such respect for folks like Mnozil Brass, or St. Paul's Quintet, or Quadre, or even my friend Mark Taylor. They're creating something new. They're taking a re-creative art and making it creative.
That's what I need to do. "No matter what, find a way. Because that's what winners do."
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment