Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thinking Outside the Box

I've been doing this blog for a little while, and the key question I have, and the crux of the whole blog in general, is Where Am I Going With This? I'm never going to be a professional horn player. First of all there are far better players out there than I am (though I'm no slouch). Second, I really don't like orchestras. But I feel that I have a place somewhere and a definite "calling." I just don't know what it is.

I did a search on CD Baby the other day. There are LOTS of solo horn CD's. There are LOTS of Brass Quintet CD's. BTW, there are NO solo Mellophone CD's.

I'm motivated to think outside the box. I want to take my music somewhere, but I just don't know where. I'm heavily motivated by people like Amie Amis and This Ambitious Orchestra (yes, no web link) because they've taken the use of the French Horn to other levels. I'm also motivated by my friend Mark Taylor, who has a unique sound AND uses both horn and Mellophone.

I'd LOVE to hook up with a group like This Ambitious Orchestra, or form something different an unique. I have a few ideas, but, as most ideas do, it takes the cooperation and commitment from lots of other people. Most people don't like committing to new ventures. And then there's Band Geekz, which I REALLY believe in, but don't know if there's an audience for it.

In the mean time, I'll stick with the Grand Street Band. It keeps me playing, and I do love band music. But I'll continue to think outside the box. I have a musical "voice" and I want it to be heard. I just don't know what it is yet. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment