Yesterday was "Make Music NY" Day, and my friend Mark Taylor organized French Horn Nation, which was a "vibe-free" horn choir performance.
Being a part of this was significant to me because it was my way of sliding back into the world of horn players. Thirteen years ago I'd fit right in, but was I ready to dip my toe into that water again?
Of course, I'm still shaky on the H200, but I went for it anyway. I recognized a number of the people there (though they probably didn't know who I was) as some of the more noted non-pro horn players in NYC, so I was secretly intimidated. But I held my head up high and kept my volume level down as I limped my way through the music.
Limped? Yes. I didn't do to well. I started on 2nd part, which I wasn't quite ready for and made a small mess of it. Then I went for the bass stuff, which I think I had a better handle on, but I was still fumbling with those Bb horn fingerings. But I tried to draw as little attention to myself and made it through without anyone either laughing at me or asking me to stop playing.
There was a second gig later which I fared better with, but this time I went for 5th part instead of 2nd (and later 8th part -- I was surprised at how many of the horn players weren't savvy with bass clef).
I'm not "there" yet. I know it. I feel it. I'm going back to playing etudes during my morning practice sessions, just to feel better about things. I mean, I know I'm doing well with the GSCB, but I still feel my hot dog days are far behind me. Will I ever be a hot dog again? As of right now, it's doubtful. There are plenty of other fresher hot dogs in the pack -- most of them played at French Horn Nation.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment