Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Vibrato on the String Bass

Back in college I studied String Bass for a few semesters. I had a strong grasp of any instrument, but strings threw me. Basically, I sucked. But I stayed with it for a while because I really wanted to learn it.

The day I was introduced to playing vibrato, it, of course, was awkward and sounded awful. But my teacher told me now that I know what it was and how to get it, eventually I'd want it and would force myself to use it.

That's sort of my philosophy of the H200. I know it's there and I know its value and eventually I'd want to use it. So I'm trying it again. While I was playing "Sweeney Todd," I did my daily practice on the H200. Finally I decided to make the leap. Again.

I took it to band rehearsal last night. Overall, it went okay. Not great, but not the initial disaster of the first time. I'm still finding some of the easy notes. Some of them feel higher than they are -- like D through G at the top of the staff. And yes, I still stumble with the F, F# and G. But I made it through.

One nice moment -- we were working on "Symphonic Dances from West Side Story" and there's an 8 measure horn solo. So, I we were rehearsing and went through it. The conductor stopped a few measures after for something, and one of the trumpet players said "that horn solo sounds beautiful." That was VERY nice and VERY unexpected!

Of course, the next time we went through it I laid a few clams. Hey, I'm human!

No comments:

Post a Comment