Friday, April 9, 2010

Around the World

Many years ago I started working on project called "Around the World in E-Flat." It was basically a solo Mellophone recording project. The project had morphed a few times before ultimately dying, due partially to the availability (or lack thereof) of my accompanist.

By a stroke of luck I ran into my accompanist yesterday, and his availability is clearing up and my project is now on his menu.

Maybe this is a sign that it's time to revisit the project. I know that it's no longer going to be "Around the World in E-Flat." The new title may be merely "Mello." It'll basically be a showcase for the sound of the Mellophone. I'll use both the Bellfront and Traditional horn, unless I decide to split the project and do just one or the other.

Definitely on the program will be the Smith "Three Contrasts" which I played with the Grand Street band, as well as an arrangement of "Sanvean" I had commissioned.

This then brings a few more questions to mind. I've been mulling over getting a Patterson lead pipe for the Yamaha. I mean, let's get real: I'm not going to be playing in any drum corps. Why not take the leap?

So my thoughts now go back to my recording project. Is it something I still want to do? Should I follow the inspiration of my dear friend Karen Smith and just focus? Do I want a more pop CD or a more classical CD? So many questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment