Monday, November 23, 2009

Saturday with Mark

This Saturday afternoon I got to hook up with Mark Taylor for a few minutes. I really enjoy chatting with Mark. First of all, he's one of the most genuinely nicest people you'll ever want to meet. Second, he's a real geek when it comes to the Horn and the Mellophone. Third, he's wildly talented and one of the few professional jazz musicians I know. Okay, he's the ONLY professional jazz musician I know.

I discussed my latest horn woes, as well as showing off the IYM and Wick heavyweight mouthpieces.

It's funny how we are both in the same boat whereas we have plenty of opportunities as a horn player, but it's the Mellophone that we're passionate about. We agree that there are so many issues with the horn that you wind up fighting the instrument instead of making music.

He was relating his attempt to play be-bop on the French Horn and how it was a bad idea. But the Mellophone was built for it.

The visit was short but it's always pleasant and encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment