Monday, November 16, 2009

Muteless on the Mouthpiece Wheel of Doom

Practice time for me is 5:30 in the morning. I have to use a practice mute as to not wake my wife and the neighbors. I really don't mind using a practice mute, though from time to time it is good to go muteless.

I'm off work this week, so I'm staying home and taking care of some projects, like waiting for the electrician and such. Of course, that means I'll take the time to practice a bit more and, when possible, go muteless. Being that I don't get to practice on weekends, going muteless on a Monday is a double treat.

In addition to going muteless, I'm taking the opportunity to get back on the Mouthpiece Wheel of Doom again. The contenders: The Laskey 825J, the Wick 5N and the IYM Maximus.

The Laskey is a beautiful mouthpiece. It's also a friggin' cannon. The upper register suffers, as does the "cash" register. (My old horn teacher called middle C to 2nd line G the "cash" register, as being strong in that register will get you good gigs.)

The Wick has the same cup diameter as the Laskey but is significantly deeper. It's also a Heavyweight mouthpiece. The cash register is strong but the upper register is in the same boat as the Laskey.

The IYM is a smaller cup diameter than the others, it's a real solid funnel shape and it's also a Heavyweight -- moreso than the Wick. Cash register suffers (for now) but the uppper notes are there.

My final verdict: The Wick. I plan on working with the IYM as I think it'll be a good mouthpiece to aspire to. But right now I'm not used to something so small.

Thanks to Tony Vaccaro at IYM. You rock!

On a different note, I think I have a loose brace, but I can't find it. Looks like a trip to the Brass Lab is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment