I love Eli Epstein. I've never met him and probably never will. But I got his book "Horn Playing from the Inside Out" and it's been speaking volumes to me.
Lately I've been frantically trying to address my biggest problems: Endurance, Accuracy and Range. This book addresses all of them in a way that makes sense to me, with exercises and ways of thinking that produce results. Instant results.
My favorite two things are Finger Breathing and the Organized System of Vowels.
Finger Breathing is basically audibly inhaling with your finger vertically in front of your mouth, and producing pitches as you breathe in. This trains your tongue and mouth.
The Vowels are the shapes your mouth should take depending on your range (thoth, thuh, tsoo, tee, tie).
After ONE practice session with both of them, I suddenly had accuracy and range! Of course it will take a lot of concentration before it becomes an unconscious effort, but it's such a GREAT start!
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment