Last night was the first rehearsal of the season with the Brooklyn Wind Symphony, and the first time I got to use the 8D in a real setting. It was quite an education.
The differences between the Holton and the 8D are quite noticeable to the player. Josh referred to the Holton as "fuffy." He's sort of right -- the Holton has a certain reservation to it, almost like built-in limits. The result is fine, though. It's an expressive, beautiful horn.
The 8D is more raw. The boundaries seem limitless. The whole experience seems significantly bigger. Of course, that doesn't mean it's any easier. My playing is still sloppy, my accuracy is still for shit, and the high notes are no easier. But the sonority and power potential is huge. I think I'm on the verge of a new chapter in my horn playing.
Of course, this means I need to significantly up my game. I need to find a way to improve by a significant margin. For starters, endurance is still an issue. By the half I was gone. Of course, we just read through "The Frozen Cathedral" by John Mackey, which is 13 and a half minutes of constant pumping. But that's of great concern to me. I truly need to commit to using P.E.T.E. daily.
My furiously looking for books, methods, exercises, videos, etc. on high horn playing. I found a GREAT video by Eli Epstein that gave me a whole new concept to work on regarding jaw movement. It was quite enlightening! I just ordered his book and, hopefully, it will teach me some things that will help.
I need to take lessons. I can't afford to splatter all over the place any more.
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment