There's a used instrument dealer who calls himself Quinn the Eskimo. I'm not sure if he's good or bad, as I've heard both good and bad things about him. It was through him that I bought a used Conn 8D.
The horn has definitely seen better days, but it also has some good days ahead of it. It needs work. A lot of work. But according to Josh Landress, it'll be worth it.
First and foremost, the bell (which is detachable) came in totally crunched due to bad packing. I let Quinn know about it, but that was never pursued. Fortunately I have a Lawson bell I wasn't using, so now it will have a function.
Like I said, the horn has it's pluses and minuses. On the plus side, the rotors are in good shape. That's an expense that won't be happening! On the other side, there is a lot of wear, and in some places the metal is very thin. Josh thinks it will require a few patches.
But, like I said, Josh thinks it'll be an outstanding horn once he finishes with it. It's a C-series horn, which is a VERY good thing. My hopes are high for it.
As of this typing, I've been waiting about 3 weeks so far. I don't know if he's started working on it or not. I'm eager and hopeful that I'll get it back early August so I have a few weeks to break it in before band.
Speaking of which, still no word on the seating. Yes, I'm concerned.
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment