Here's a picture of it stripped down. From what I understand there was at least one major pipe that wasn't lining up and had a gap in it.
I was, of course, both excited and worried about how my poor, old horn would play after basically being disassembled and reassembled.
Well, rest easy because my horn is BETTER THAN EVER!!!!
On the surface, the horn looks great. Stripping the lacquer gave the horn a nice, velvety silver sheen. I'm sure it'll now require some maintenance, but the blotchiness of the lacquer is gone.
Next, everything was tight. Very tight. The slides, rotors -- tight.
But there's still that "home" feel with my Holton, so getting it back was a happy reunion.
And then came the shake-down. Right off the bat I noticed a bunch of good things:
- Internal intonation is markedly better.
- All notes slot SIGNIFICANTLY better.
- Lower/middle register is much stronger.
- Upper register is much more secure.
So then guilt starts setting in. Should I have bought the Paxman at all? I admit a little regret, but it's still a great horn. It's future is uncertain at this time.
But I must tip my hat to Mr. Hatch. You are truly a rock star, and I will recommend your service to everybody. It was SO totally worth it!


No comments:
Post a Comment