Thursday, January 23, 2014

I knew this day would come

I admit that I've been lucky in that I haven't had to audition for anything for a very long time.  I knew the day would eventually come, and it appears that it is on the horizon.

After this season, everybody in the Brooklyn Wind Symphony has to audition.  Everybody.  That means me.

You would think that I'd take some umbrage at this but I don't.  I'm perfectly happy to audition in this case.  Y'see, to me this isn't about ME.  This is about making music.  If someone can come in and take my chair, then I'm glad for so many reasons.  Don't misunderstand -- I do like being the Principal horn, but if I can be beaten fair and square I'd happily step aside.

It works the same in theater.  If I audition for a part, I don't get angry if I don't get it -- providing the person who DID get it is better than me.

I expect no special treatment.  I'm happy with that.

The only advantage is that I get to select the audition piece, or pieces.  Our instruction was to pick 3 pieces and from them one will be chosen.  The 3 I picked all demonstrate many different things -- range, style, dynamics, musicality, technique, etc.  I also picked 3 pieces that are PLAYABLE.  Nothing is overly difficult.  I don't want it to be about getting all the notes.  It's about how the notes are played.

I don't know which of the 3 will be chosen yet, but as soon as I do I plan on giving it my all and playing it the best I can.  I've been on a very encouraging climb this past year and I hope to continue to improve.  I'm becoming more satisfied with my playing than ever have post-hot dog days.  I'm still not the hot dog I was, but I haven't started deteriorating yet.  So as long as I have a few years left, I hope to enjoy them as a hornist and no matter where I am in the section I look forward to making music.

No comments:

Post a Comment