Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Wedge, Part 2

This weekend I had the opening of "Beauty and the Beast."  It involves a LOT of playing.  I used this opportunity to test out the Wedge L75G.

Day 1:  It's not uncomfortable.  It takes a while to get it completely lined up and to stay lined up.  I find that my high notes (G and up) are a bit on the airy and thin side.  That doesn't make me happy.  The thing I did notice is that after 2 1/2 hours of hammering away, I wasn't completely dead.  Previously, after a 30 minute concert I was shot.

I went home and pulled out the digital recorder and did some sound tests with the Wedge and the Laskey.  Aside for those airy high notes, the Wedge did provide a slightly clearer (albeit warmer) tone.

Day 2:  I'm adjusting to those high notes some, but they're still a bit thin.  Again, 2 1/2 hours later and I'm not completely shot.

Day 3:  The high notes are starting to come back.  And again, I'm not completely shot, which is a HUGE thing.  When I played Phantom, I couldn't play for days.

Bottom line - could the Wedge actually be All That?  It might be!  I have band tonight.  I'm curious to see what it's like in that setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment