Sunday, March 20, 2011

Clams, Clams and More Clams

One of the things I hate most about the French Horn is its instability. As a result, it's not uncommon for the average horn player to miss a note from time to time.

But what really causes one to miss a note? Gads, there are so many reasons. Insecurity, over-thinking, under-thinking, internal intonation, overblowing, underblowing, bad aim, aiming too much ... it's wrought with disaster from the get-go.

I don't think I've ever played a perfect concert. Saturday's Grand Street concert was no exception. Big passages wound up being split, key notes to hit were missed and exposed lines were cracked. Just another day.

One of the reasons I switched to the H200 was to avoid this kind of crap, and honestly it helps, but it doesn't eliminate the problem entirely. It's sad, really. My biggest problem is probably over-thinking. Nobody complains, but I hear it and I'm angered by it.

What made the concert even worse is that due to an unsubstantial warm-up (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) I was spent by the end of the program. I found my bottom lip inching its way out of the mouthpiece and no amount of force could keep it in. I played it smart and dropped out of the passages I knew I wouldn't be able to hit. Luckily Jen, who sits to my right, is quite strong, so nobody really missed me. The H200 doesn't have the sheer power my H179 has, but it makes up for it in many other ways, so I have to just take the bad with the good. It's okay.

So. Clams. I hate 'em. I wish they'd go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment