Friday, February 5, 2010

It's Been a While Since I Played a Mellophone

It's funny -- I don't think I've played a Mellophone for over a year. I miss it a lot, but I feel I'm finding some peace with the French Horn. I'm definitely not in the same place I was 13 years ago. Back then I was ALL about the French Horn. I still don't consider myself a "horn player" any more, but I'm finding peace nonetheless.

I think what's happening to me is that it's about the music. I'm becoming less ambitious regarding my musician-ly desires, or at least on horn. I'm at peace with not wanting to go anywhere with it at this point in my life. What I'm doing, though, is finding joy in merely making music once a week.

Granted, I still practice a little daily. This is more or less to keep my chops in shape so on Tuesdays I don't tank.

I'm also dedicating more time to the H200 (I'll bet you thought I forgot about it). Right now it's stll all about getting my head around playing strictly in Bb. I'm getting out the etudes and going through them slowly and methodically. I feel I'll get it soon.

For this upcoming concert (the Barnes), I plan on staying with the H179. There is one minor exception: this Tuesday we're playing "Tempered Steel" for the school. I can do it on the H200 easily. That way I can take it to the Brass Lab in the morning and get the hand rest attached. Life will be better then, I'm sure!

But for now I don't look forward to much other than Grand Street and the occassional pit gig. For now, it's enough.

As for the Mellophone, I don't feel my Horn time is for naught. I know that I'll be back to it eventually. Meanwhile, I keep the horns out and readilly available. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment