I feel like this whole journey has now come full circle. I've used the skills and experiences on my way to come to a place not too far from where I began. As a result I feel like my playing is finally in the groove I want it to be in, my tone is good, my endurance is improving and I'm enjoying playing (as much as I am able to -- I still have a love/hate relationship with the instrument).
So here's where I am: I'm back to my trusty circa 1981 Holton H179. It's got new valves, it still has the Lawson lead pipe, and I'm using the original bell. For a mouthpiece I've settled on the Schilke 29. It's as comfortable as the 30 but a little more shallow. High notes are good. My only trick is I don't utilize the F side for anything. I can pretty much lock the thumb valve down and be fine.
The Holton still isn't as nimble as the Paxman, but I feel right now it's the sound that I need to be getting. Maybe I'll go back to the Pax one day, maybe not. But for now everything is okay.
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment